Getting Married

Getting married in the Diocese of Waterford & Lismore.

Details of Marriage Preparation courses running in the Diocese of Waterford & Lismore can be found by contacting Accord in Waterford (051-878333) or Clonmel (052-24144).
You can also obtain this information from St. John’s Pastoral Centre brochure, which has a link on this website under the heading ‘Pastoral’ and then navigate to St. John’s Pastoral Centre.

Necessary Documentation
At least three months notice of your intended marriage should be given to the priest of the parish where you now reside. He will fill in the necessary forms for you. If you were baptised in a different parish you will need to bring:
1) A recent Baptism Certificate
2) A Confirmation Certificate if details of Confirmation are not on Baptism Certificate
3) Letters of freedom if requested or a Sworn Affidavit from a Commissioner for Oaths.
4) Your Priest will fill in a Pre-Nuptial Enquiry Form
5) He will advise you regarding any other Permissions, Dispensations etc., if they are required. e.g. if either party is not a Catholic.

The Bride’s Parish Priest will send the Marriage Papers to the Parish Priest of the parish in which you wish to get married. When the couple are living outside Ireland the Parish Priest of the Bride should send the Marriage Papers to his Diocesan Bishop who will forward them to Bishop’s House in Waterford.
When the couple are living in the diocese but wish to be married outside of Ireland, the Brides Parish Priest will forward the papers to the Diocesan Chancellor in the Diocese of Waterford & Lismore, who will then forward the completed papers to the Diocese where the marriage is due to take place.

Previous Marriage
If you were previously married, you will need to supply evidence on this previous marriage. These would include certificate of that first marriage, evidence of divorce or annulment, or a death certificate in the case of a widow or widower.

Notice to Civil Registrar
Persons marrying in Ireland must contact the Register of Marriages. Couples are obliged to attend the Register’s Office in person. If either of the parties to a proposed marriage have been previously married and have a foreign divorce, a foreign civil annulment or a church annulment the authority of the An tArd–Chlaraitheoir must be obtained if the proposed marriage is to be civilly registered.
(Write to, Office of the Registrar General, Government Offices, Convent Road, Roscommon, Co. Roscommon.)


This is an excellent website for anyone considering getting married in Ireland.