Bishop Alphonsus Cullinan announces clerical changes and appointments in the Diocese of Waterford and Lismore
Bishop Alphonsus Cullinan, Bishop of Waterford and Lismore, has announced the 2022 clerical changes and appointments for the Diocese of Waterford and Lismore. The following changes will become effective form 1 September next. Bishop Cullinan said, “This time of year is when new appointments for clergy are announced. I am very conscious of the faithful service that of all of our priests have generously provided to their respective parish communities. I wish to thank each and every one of our priests for their ongoing pastoral leadership and their unstinting sacramental and spiritual support for their parishioners.
“The life of our diocese relies on the willingness and availability of priests to accept new appointments. The departure of a priest marks an ending and a loss. As Christians we are invited to recognise that all our endings are also new beginnings. I pray God’s blessing on all those who are undertaking their ministry over the next few weeks in new pastures”, Bishop Cullinan said.
Waterford and Lismore Diocese clergy appointments for 2022
- Father William Carey retires from his role as Parish Priest of Kilsheelan and Kilcash and will assume the title, Pastor Emeritus. He will reside in Clonmel and provide cover when possible. Fr Carey was ordained to the priesthood in 1961 and has given a lifetime of dedicated service to the Diocese. On behalf of all the people in Waterford and Lismore, I would like to thank him for his incredible 61 years’ service and wish him all the best in the next phase of his priesthood.
- Father Brian Power is to be Parish Priest of Kilsheelan and Kilcash and have increased time for his duties as Vicar for Clergy. Fr Power has served in his current role for 17 years and will be greatly missed by all the people in Killea, Crooke and Faithlegg where he has become a central part of the community.
- Father P.J. Breen to become Parish Priest of Killea, Crooke and Faithlegg. Fr Breen, a native of Dungarvan was incardinated into the Diocese in May 2021 after serving 19 years with the Carmelite Order. The Parish of St Joseph’s and Benildus and St Mary’s where he ministered for the past 15 months have thanked him for his “impressive competency and generosity of spirit” and have expressed that he will be a loss to the community.
- Father Jim Denmead to become Parish Priest of Touraneena & the Nire and will link in with Ardfinnan and Newcastle. Fr Denmead moves from his role as Assistant Pastor at Cappoquin.
- Father Martin Keogh to become Parish Priest of Cappoquin and Modeligo and linking into the parish areas of Lismore, Tallow, Ballyduff Upper and Knockanore.
- Father Garrett Desmond to become Parish Priest of Newtown and Kill. Fr Desmond will also link into the parish areas of Portlaw and Ballyduff
- Father Pat Gear to be Co-Parish Priest in St. Joseph and St. Benildus and St Mary’s. Fr Gear, will return to his native city of Waterford where he will take up this new appointment as Co-Parish Priest working with Fr Liam Power.
- Father Shane O’Neill is to join the staff at the National Seminary, St Patrick’s College, Maynooth as part of their Formation Team. This is a great honour for Fr O’Neill and the Diocese of Waterford and Lismore.