- Click the TASK 1 image to go to the Google Form.
- Deadline for completion is January 31st!
- (Make sure you have handed in your Joint Consent Form to your Award Leader before completing this Task)
The Pope John Paul II Award enables participants to take an active part in the life of their Church – in the life of their community and society. It enables young people to become more aware of the teaching and role of the Catholic Church in the world and to engage at a deep level with Christ. The Award was created to commemorate the late Pope Saint John Paul II who was so committed to young people and who had such belief and confidence in them.
Making young people visible in their Church, community & society.
The Award is committed to helping young people enhance their spiritual, physical, emotional and social development through participation in school, Parish, and community activities. As well as the feeling of personal achievement that a participant will gain from taking part in the Award, participation will help demonstrate the young person’s commitment to a task and goal.
The Award is for:
- The Pope John Paul II Award is for anyone from the age of 16 – 18 inclusive: in 4th, 5th or 6th year, or not in post-primary education.
- The Award is non-competitive, flexible and voluntary and requires an ongoing commitment.
- There are 4 Awards – Gold, Silver, Bronze and Papal Cross. Only those that have completed the Gold Award have the option of completing the Papal Cross Award.
- Awards are earned by taking part in Parish and social activities – 1 hour per week over 8, 14, 20 or 26 weeks, plus the completion of a personal reflection.
Award Top-Ups are given in recognition of the extra activities that young people are already involved in. Top-Ups will go towards the total number of hours an individual has to complete.
How can I get involved?
- To enrol, complete and sign the application and consent form. You should then return the completed form along with the enrolment fee to your Award leader in your school/parish.
- They will talk you through the steps involved, which can also be found on https://thepopejohnpauliiaward.com
What can I do for my hours?
There are so many ways to get involved in parish and social awareness activities in your area! Agree your chosen activities with your Award Leader first to make sure they qualify for the Award.
- Click here to download an Information Brochure with ideas for parish and social involvement hours.
Ideas for Parish Involvement Hours
Remember, a minimum of 50% of parish hours must be completed outside of school hours.
Ideas for Social Awareness Hours
Remember, a minimum of 50% of social activity hours must be completed outside of school hours.
Ideas for Top-Ups
Award Top-Ups are given in recognition of the extra activities that young people are already involved in and go towards the total number of hours an individual has to complete. Hours are allocated by the JP2 Award Committee for specific events.
Click here for an explanation of the Top Ups in this diocese.
Where can I get the forms and record cards?
- You can get all the forms you need from your local Award Leader (either in your school or parish) or you can download copies of them from the national Pope John Paul II Award website here.
- Award Leaders should contact the Diocesan Coordinator for a Starter Pack / Checklist and to arrange a presentation by a member of the JP2 Committee as well as a follow up induction meeting with participants. Email: [email protected]
- Reflection Booklets/Record Cards will be given to participants at the Induction Meeting (which will be worth one parish hour).